Monday, April 7, 2014

Hooked on Kitchens

With the chaos of a bathroom renovation going on, as well as designing our nursery space, you'd think I'd have enough on my plate to keep the home decor part of my brain occupied. Nope. I cannot get kitchens out of my mind lately. White, bright, fresh kitchens at that.

It's no secret that the style of the former homeowners doesn't exactly align with our own style. The space itself is great. But the choices made for cabinetry stain, appliance color, floor tile, backsplash, and even knobs and pulls are not me. I can't thank them enough for choosing no-slam drawers and high quality appliances, but like I said the color choices kinda make me cringe. As a fully functional space, it really cannot be a priority right now. But I am dying to get this space updated. It's starting to bother me a little more everyday....And while I know things just cannot be changed right now, a girl can dream right?


Here's an updated to-do list:
  • Paint walls - not shown in this photo but painted November Rain in the fall
  • Paint trim & ceiling
  • Regrout tile floor - phase 1
  • Replace floors - phase 2
  • Possibly paint cabinets - phase 2 phase 1 now...I think...
  • Replace door to basement (and get rid of the cat door) - found a great 2 panel door to replace it
  • Add barstools - done. Absolutely love these barstools
  • Add floormats for in front of sink and stove top
  • Add rug for in front of french doors - purchased this one and its working out great
  • Hang valance or roman shade
  • Upgrade pulls & knobs - thank you Threshold by Target
  • Replace backsplash with something simpler, cleaner
  • Cut down the bar height side of the island/breakfast buffet to counter height - phase 2
    • And then replace the bar height stools for counter height ones...
  • Paint the basement door (far right side of the kitchen) with chalkboard paint
  • Replace the pendant lighting with more robust ones

Here are a few kitchen spaces I'd love to use for inspiration.


Our kitchen is not bright, at all. And that just doesn't work for me. But our kitchen upgrade will be a very slow project overtime unlike our bathroom renovations have been. Time is not on our side right now, neither is the money tree outback, so I'll be taking baby steps over here.

And I make no promises that things will get done before Baby C arrives. Boy would I love them to! But the free weekends we have between now and then are dwindling quickly. It's a bit frightening to be honest. But I'm no stranger to a little pressure so it'll be exciting to see what we can get done before the little love makes his/her appearance.



1 comment:


  1. kitchens is more than simply a place to prepare meals; it is the essence of your home and an investment in your lifestyle. Whether you are looking to create a bold and punchy contrast or an understated look to coordinate with your surroundings, our team at Kitchen Essence ensure that the result reflects the character of the owner and the home.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I try to respond to all comments by e-mail.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips