Monday, January 14, 2013

Deep Cleaning

One of the things I love most about our condo is the hardwood floors. The entire place has Brazilian cherry wood floors, even the bathroom. That was a new one for me which seemed strange at first, but now I love the continuity throughout the place.

We use a steam cleaner to keep the floors clean and I was using Murphy's oil and water in a spray bottle until I stumbled upon a homemade cleaner on none other than Pinterest (here). The original recipe is 1 cup water, 1 cup vinegar, 1 cup isopropyl alcohol, a few drops liquid soap, and 10-15 drops essential oils.


We haven't bought any essential oils so I added a few drops of Murphy's Oil Soap since we already owned it. And we've been using this cleaning solution ever since. Our personal wear and tear doesn't seem to have anything on this cleaning solution. I'd certainly recommend you give it a try. It smells great too! 

On to cleaning solution #2! When we bought our condo, the kitchen appliances were all included. And we were so grateful for that! But the gas stove top was a mess. For the past 3 years I've tried everything (I thought). And nothing cleaned them. Nothing. I would soak the grates in hot soapy water for hours, scrubbed them, etc and the grates were still gross. See how gross the front burner is? Nothing worked. So embarrassing.

Pinterest did it again. Why are the grates in ziploc bags you might ask? Well, because I stumbled upon this strategy. And oh my gosh, it worked! Straight up, ammonia. We soaked the grates for more than 8 hours. Check out this grime! Again, so embarrassing!

A light scrub and rinse once they were done soaking and we've got ourselves some shiny grates! I honestly never thought we'd see the gas grates so clean. This may be the best cleaning tip I've stumbled upon yet. 

 All shiny, and like new. I am so impressed by this. 

If you try either of these cleaning solutions, let me know what you think! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I try to respond to all comments by e-mail.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips